Finally getting to admire the snow-covered mountains again, hurtle down the slopes or simply take a stroll in the snow and breathe in the fresh air... Can you see yourself there already?
Two different periods, two different types of snow, the same enjoyment
February: excellent snowfall, temperatures, although still cool, become rather pleasant and sunshine hours increase, giving you more options for outdoor après-ski activities.
|February school holiday dates
||Saturday 12th February to 20th February 2022
||Monday 28th February to 6th March 2022
|France (Zone B)
||Saturday 5th February to 21st February 2022
||Monday 21s Februar to 1st March 2022
March: the snow is starting to melt at the bottom of the slopes, so if you want a better quality of snow head for the high-altitude resorts where you may find a beautiful glacier snow. Days are getting longer and the temperatures are becoming really pleasant.
|March school holiday dates
||Saturday 2nd April to 18 th April 2022
||Monday 4 th April to 18 th April 2022
|France (Zone B)
||Saturday 9 th April to 25 th April 2022
||Monday 11 th April to 24 th April 2022
You’ve chosen your resort and booked your holiday, so what’s left to do?
Whether you're going as a family or on your own, on an organised trip or booking everything yourself, whatever means of transportation you choose you’ll need to make certain preparations and take certain precautions.
We at the ACL always try to think of everything and anticipate what might make life easier for our members and more importantly what might save them any inconvenience.
Travelling by car
- It is highly advisable that you check the general condition of your car before setting off on holiday so that you can control the safety mechanisms, tyres and lighting.
- If you’re travelling to Switzerland or Austria you’ll need a motorway sticker, which can be purchased from the ACL, and we would advise you to check our website for details on the different stickers you might need and any tolls or other environmental zones that you may have to travel through.
- Whatever the weather forecast, don't leave without getting the right snow chains for your car, and beware: if you have changed your vehicle, your old chains may no longer be usable, so it’s important to check for compatibility. And of course, make sure you store them so that they are always within reach when traveling!
- The clothes and equipment required for a winter sports trip are bulky, so make sure you load your vehicle in a way that ensures maximum visibility for the driver and in accordance with the relevant safety rules (see our article). If your vehicle really doesn’t have enough space for everything and everyone, it’s really wise to get a roof box or to rent a larger vehicle especially for the occasion.
Travelling by train
Someone else is doing the driving, so all you have to do is turn up on time, jump aboard and get off at the right station.
If your accommodation has shuttle buses
, that's great.
Otherwise, buses and taxis
are often available at the station when main-line trains arrive, but it’s better to book your transfer to your holiday accommodation before you arrive, especially if you’re traveling during school holidays. Ski resorts can be a good way from the nearest train station, so in order to avoid unpleasant surprises it’s wise to find out what’s available before you leave and compare the different means.
If you have your own equipment
, make sure you have breathable, shock-proof carry cases and store your equipment in a dry place and at a constant temperature when not in use to prevent cracking. If you’re travelling by car, a roof box will be your best bet.
If you need to rent your equipment
, most rental stores offer an online booking system that helps ensure that the equipment you have chosen is available when you need it and avoids having to queue when you get there, especially during the school holidays. But we can go one better at the ACL thanks to our partnership with an online rental site that offers you great rates and a special ACL member discount in over 11 European countries. No more running round the resort looking for ski rental stores: book now with alpinresorts.com
Documents and certificates you must remember to take
Before you set off, check that you and all others in your party have valid ID documents
that meet the requirements of the destination country and make sure you take them with you.
The same applies to European social security cards
. If you do not have any or if they have expired, allow three weeks for the new card to reach one once you have submitted your application. For more details, please refer to the website of the Caisse Nationale de Santé
or the relevant health insurance body if you are not insured in Luxembourg. Please note that you will be asked for it if you need to call for rescue on the ski slopes, so carry it with you wherever you go.
: keep an eye on the changing public health situation and the regulations in force at your destination and in any countries you may be traveling through. Make sure that you are able to present the required evidence (certificate of vaccination or valid negative test result). To help you stay on top of things, we publish a regular update of the situation in Europe, country by country
, available on our website and on the ACL App.
Assistance and travel insurance (health, cancellation, loss of luggage)
- Assistance: If you are driving to your destination, as an ACL member with a valid Europe card you will be covered by our 24/7 assistance. Don't remember the details? Find them here. Not yet a member? Register now and join the ACL family!
- Insurance: Because it is always better to be prepared for the unpredictable events, especially in these uncertain times owing to the public health situation, we strongly recommended that you check the cancellation policy for your accommodation, since few places offer extremely flexible cancellation policies. If you feel that these conditions present a financial risk, and if you’re not otherwise covered by another insurance policy, the ACL has a number of partnerships in place to offer you various travel insurance solutions.
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on +352 450045-1 or by e-mail: email@example.com, our Member Services & Advice staff will be able to answer your questions.
All that remains is for us to wish you a happy holiday!