In the 2019 edition of the child car seat test for automobile clubs (including the ACL) and Stiftung Warentest, we put 41 car seats of all sizes under the magnifying glass looking at safety, handling, ergonomics and toxic substance content. Two seats were graded “very good”, 28 “good” and four others “satisfactory”. Four seats were deemed “unsatisfactory”.
The Bébé Confort Jade + 3wayFix and the Maxi-Cosi Jade + 3wayFix were graded “very good”. This baby seat protects new-borns (40 to 70 cm) up to around 18 months. There are good child seats in the other age categories too, as shown in the table
However, four models proved to be “unsatisfactory”: in a head-on collision, the Babystyle Oyster Carapace Infant + Duofix i-Size Base seat separated from the Isofix base and was thrown forward, providing hardly any restraint. For the same impact with the Chicco Oasys i-Size Bebecare + Duofix i-Size Base, the harness fixation point was torn off the seat, ejecting the dummy. The Giordani Galaxy 012 didn’t fare any better in the head-on collision test; and putting the child in is quite a rigmarole. The cover of the Maxi-Cosi Tobi-Fix contains a level of the flame retardant TCPP that exceeds the limit for toys permitted by Directive 2014/79/EU.
For further information and details of the regulations, please contact the ACL (tel: +352 45 00 45-1
) or go to the ACL child seat fair on 22 June (next one after that: 23 November 2019).
Advice for users
- Before buying a seat, parents need to check out what is available. They can look at the results for this year’s test and the last two years. Please note: for tests in Europe, not all of the seats tested are necessarily available in the Grand Duchy.
- Check that the seat you are thinking of buying can be fitted in the car.
- “Semi-universal” seats (such as seats with a base) can’t be used in all cars. Check the attached list beforehand.
- Child seats approved by the i-Size standard (UN ECE R129 Regulation) can be fitted to all i-Size certified vehicle seats (identification on vehicle seat).
- You are advised to go to the store with your vehicle and your child to try out possible seats before you buy.
- After purchase, you will need to familiarise yourself with how to handle the seat. You are required to follow the instructions for the seat and the vehicle. It is important to fit the seat correctly so that it offers the best protection for the child in an accident. Please pay special attention to tightening the safety belts properly. It is a good idea to remove jackets from under the lap belt so that it fits snugly against the body. Belts and seat backs also need to be adjusted regularly as the child gets bigger.